FOI Disclosure Log
11 February 2020
- Has your council passed a motion mandating the council area to go net-zero carbon by a given target date?
- If the answer to 1) is ‘yes’, what is the target date?
- If the answer to 1) is ‘yes’, has your council produced an action plan of how to get the area to net zero carbon by the target date? Please provide a link to the plan if it is publicly available.
12 February 2020
Thank you for your request for information, this has now been processed and the information that we hold is enclosed.
- East Herts Council passed a Climate Motion on 24th July 2019. This included a number of statements but in terms of the wider district area it commits the Council to the following:
“Join with other councils in recognising and declaring formally the necessity to do everything within the authority"s power to reduce its impact on the climate and moreover do everything we can in supporting the whole of East Herts District to become carbon neutral by 2030”.
The Council is unable to pass a motion mandating the whole local area to become net zero carbon as the vast majority of carbon emissions across the District are emitted from sources beyond the direct control or influence of the District Council.
2.The Council is working towards a target date of 2030 for it climate change actions
3. The Council is in the process of developing a new environmental sustainability action plan in order to help deliver the Climate Motion. Initial information on this is available as part of the Council’s new Corporate Plan https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/about-east-herts-0/vision-corporate-priorities
If you have any queries or complaint about the processing of your request please do not hesitate to contact me.
Alternatively for more information on the Freedom of Information Act contact the Information Commissioner at:
Information Commissioners Office
Telephone 0303 123 1113
It is important that you include the above FOI reference number on all correspondence related to this request.
Thank you for your request.