FOI Disclosure Log

Customer Request Details

01 December 2021

Please tell us the general subject of your request (e.g. Burials paid for by the council)

- Policy(s) relating to absence from work for an employee participating in Medical Research for healthy Volunteers or Patients that are receiving treatment as part of a Clinical Trial.

Please provide full details of your request (e.g. Please provide details of the number of burials paid for by the council each year between 2001 and 2012)
I am writing to you under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 to request the following information from HR department]. Please may you provide me with:
- Policy(s) relating to absence from work for an employee participating in Medical Research for healthy Volunteers or Patients that are receiving treatment as part of a Clinical Trial.
Clinical trials are research studies performed in people that are aimed at evaluating a medical, surgical, or behavioural intervention. They are the primary way that researchers find out if a new treatment, like a new drug or diet or medical device (for example, a pacemaker) is safe and effective in people. Often a clinical trial is used to learn if a new treatment is more effective and/or has less harmful side effects than the standard treatment.
I am asking this question in my capacity as a Research Practitioner working in the field of medical research. As part of our Patient and Public initiative (PPI) engagement, we have had feedback on this issue. This feedback relates directly to working individuals and their corresponding employee HR policies. Potentially this activity could require sick leave and/or unpaid absence from work. This means that the potentially impact could mean that a working individual would not be able to have access to /participate in clinical studies. I am gathering information on this topic to understand the actual breath of HR policies specifically related to this type of absence from work for Medical Research
Is a policy(s) relating to Clinical Trial Appointments available within your organisation?

? Yes - (I would like this information to be provided to me as [paper or electronic copies, or alternatively provision of appropriate web-links – if this information is already available to the public..]
? No
If this request is too wide or unclear, I would be grateful if you could contact me as I understand that under the Act, you are required to advise and assist requesters. If any of this information is already in the public domain, please can you direct me to it, with page references and URLs if necessary.
If the release of any of this information is prohibited on the grounds of breach of confidence, I ask that you supply me with copies of the confidentiality agreement and remind you that information should not be treated as confidential if such an agreement has not been signed. I understand that you are required to respond to my request within the 20 working days after you receive this letter. I would be grateful if you could confirm in writing that you have received this request.
I look forward to hearing from you.


East Herts Council Response

22 December 2021

Thank you for your request for information, this has now been processed and the information that we hold is enclosed.


At East Herts Council we do not have a policy on staff participating in medical or clinical research/trials so our answer to your request is No. If a member of staff was signed off or self-cert as unfit they would be paid sick pay and supported by our absence policy which would include discussing the reasons for the absence. Unpaid leave or annual leave or flexi leave may also be used if approved in advance.


If you are unsatisfied with the way the Council has handled your request please let us know in the first instance so that an internal review can be carried out. Additionally,  If you have any queries about the processing of your request please do not hesitate to contact me.

For re-use of information and conditions on the use of personal data  please see

Alternatively for more information on the Freedom of Information Act contact the Information Commissioner at:

Information Commissioners Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone 0303 123 1113


It is important that you include the above FOI reference number on all correspondence related to this request.


Thank you for your request.