FOI Disclosure Log

Customer Request Details

05 April 2022

Please tell us the general subject of your request (e.g. Burials paid for by the council)
Planning permission or advertisement consent at SG14 1AY

Please provide full details of your request (e.g. Please provide details of the number of burials paid for by the council each year between 2001 and 2012)
Dear East Herts Council,

1) Is planning permission or advertisement consent required to put car park signage on private land and what are the dimensions of signage / mounting height / location of signage that would require planning permission?

2) Has any planning permission or advertisment consent been approved in the SG14 1AY area.

3) If no planning permission or advertisement consent was approved in the SG14 1AY area does this require new planning approval or can it be provided retrospectively, and in the latter case, what is the justification for this?

4) If no application has been made and no permission granted for signage, would existing signs which display advertisements be a violation of Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements)(England) Regulations 2007 (as amended) Regulation 30 and therefore be illegal?


East Herts Council Response

06 April 2022

Thank you for your request for information, this has now been processed and the information that we hold is enclosed.

 Q1 Guidance relating to if planning permission is required are available and

Q2 Planning applications can be searched for here

A search for the postcode provided brings up no applications

Q3 This is entirely dependent on the development in question as outlined in the response to Q1

Retrospective planning permission is sometimes granted but this is entirely dependent on each individual application

Q4 The guidance provided in Q1 would determine if the signage requires permission and this would determine if it was legal or not

It is possible to  book a call back on our website for a planning officer to call or advice on Advert Signs and if it is believed that they have not got permission it can be reported to Enforcement on 


If you are unsatisfied with the way the Council has handled your request please let us know in the first instance so that an internal review can be carried out. Additionally,  If you have any queries about the processing of your request please do not hesitate to contact me.

For re-use of information and conditions on the use of personal data  please see

Alternatively for more information on the Freedom of Information Act contact the Information Commissioner at:

Information Commissioners Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Telephone 0303 123 1113


It is important that you include the above FOI reference number on all correspondence related to this request.


Thank you for your request.